Wednesday, 19 May 2010

Cinque Terre

This is my latest "big" project: a landscape from Cinque Terre, Italy. It's a little bit complicated; it has everything in it:sky, sea, buildings, people... So much detail! As a matter of fact I'm scared. I'm not sure that I'm capable enough to struggle with this subject. But I'll give it a try anyway. Because I want this painting on my wall and I want to be proud of it :) We'll se...

The source picture is a collage of 3 photos from internet.
Till now I've traced it on the paper and masked some white areas. But I think sooner or later I'll use gouache for whites...


And I've made some close-ups for practice. And I'm not happy with them. They're all messy and lifeless. I'm not sure how to handle with so much detail and texture and color...

At this point I want to ask you a question: do you have an "image" of the finished painting in mind when you are in front of a blank paper? I mean, are you painting to reach a destination image or just improvising? When I look at a reference picture, I generally have an image of the finished painting(I have a photoshop filter in my brain :D). But naturally the final painting becomes something totally different; sometimes good, mostly bad... I'm asking this silly question because I can't imagine the result of this landscape. HELP ME!! :)

9 comments:

jane minter said...

...i'd love to paint scenes like this yasemin it's very challenging ..love your swatches infact i really like the vertical crop/ sections of the landscape .. sure they will lead you to the final painting .

Paulo J. Mendes said...

Hi,
Usually I have an "image" of the final painting before starting, and try to work following that path, altough not making it a rule too strict... Just as it happens with you, sometimes it becomes similar to that "image", sometimes not, sometimes nicer than it, sometimes a disaster.

Your work is so wonderful that I'm sure you'll succeed with this challenge. Have fun painting it, that's the best way :))

alissa4102 said...

I'm listening to the music while I type this. cool. Your painting idea looks great. At least you have a specific idea in mind. It is way outside of my knowledge atre - but I love the swatches - a work of art in themselves. I llok forward to you posting the finished painting one day - no pressure

Yasemin said...

Jane,
thank you. I'll use them as bookmarks :) although I didn't like them very much...

Paulo,
thank you for the answer and kind comment. I guess you're right, "fun" is the key word, that's why we're painting, no? :)

Alissa,
I'm glad that you liked the song and the swatches. I hope to paint some this weekend. I'll post every stage. Thank you for your comment.

Anna Wolf said...

Hi,
thanks for stopping by!

I really like your drawings too - I think this view has a lot of potential, just go for it and see how it turnes out!

When I paint watercolours I usually have some kind of idea to start with, but usually I improvise a bit as I go along so the result doesn´t always turn out the way I planned... Also, I like to take advantage of the "accidents" that happend when colours blend or bloom or whatever. It´s a part of the charm with watercoulour I think :)

The Journal Challenge said...

wonderful...I absolutely adore these drawings

Lee said...

Very often the picture I "see" in my head doesn't make it to the paper. The wonderful thing about watercolor is that it has a mind of it's own. Go with it and there is no harm in revisiting the subject. A "series" is born!

Now frankly, your vertical sketches are wonderful. There is something about the shape plus the capture of a "slice" of the landscape...it's definitely something you could pursue. (and an idea I'm willing to steal :D)

Yasemin said...

Thank you all for encouraging comments and informative answers. As far as I can see everyone has a path to follow at the begining, but the result is always a surprise(or semi-surprise) with watercolors.

Lee,
thank you and you're free to steal any idea you wish :) I'm sure that you'll create more beautiful works than me...

Lee said...

Thanks Yasemin! I'll be taking a break and trying your vertical format. I'll create different but not more beautiful!